Sunday, August 18, 2013

Sunday Thoughts



I love Sundays.

Today I got to go to a farewell of a friend I met at EFY and I just want her to know England is so lucky to have her. You will be a fantastic missionary Kayli! Love you lots!!

After Kayli's farewell I hurried over to my own ward where a return sister missionary spoke. I think the theme of the day was sister missionaries and it just got me to thinking about my mission.

I am planning on serving a mission when I turn 19 in a few years. I am so excited for this part of my life, and I am reminded that while I'm still two years away, preparation must begin now.

For me missionary prep extends beyond reading my scriptures and going to church every Sunday. It extends to attending the temple regularly, to participating in and seeking out spiritual experiences, to sharing my testimony with those around me through words as well as actions. It extends to studying the gospel and coming to know of its realness for myself. I believe a great sister missionary is one that lives and follows the young women's theme...


We are daughters of our Heavenly Father, who loves us, and we love Him. We will “stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places” (Mosiah 18:9) as we strive to live the Young Women values, which are:

Faith • Divine Nature • Individual Worth • Knowledge • Choice and Accountability • Good Works • Integrity • and Virtue
 We believe as we come to accept and act upon these values, we will be prepared to strengthen home and family, make and keep sacred covenants, receive the ordinances of the temple, and enjoy the blessings of exaltation.

In the Young Women's theme I love the part where it says to "stand as a witness of God at all times and in all things, and in all places" Because It shows that we don't have to wear a name tag to be a missionary. We can be a missionary everywhere we stand and we must always be a representative of the followers of Christ.

I am reminded of an experience I had a few years ago while I was in San Antonio, Texas with my team for the US Power Tumbling National Championships. Some families from my team had decided to go to church Sunday morning since we didn't have to be at the arena until later in the day.

We got to the church a few minutes early to find that the doors were locked. We sat there until church was supposed to start when finally a man walked up and unlocked the door. I believe it was the bishop of the ward.

Our group after Church that Sunday in Texas

We were the only ones there at first and we were the only ones there until a few minutes after the meeting was supposed to start when a few people started walking into the chapel. Our little group just about doubled the size of the ward.

While we sat there we noticed a young man with a walker sitting up with a few other young men preparing to pass the sacrament. We watched him, with the assistance of another young man, help pass the sacrament to that ward. After the sacrament we watched him push his walker up to the stand. He was the first speaker.

I don't remember what was said, but I do remember the spirit felt in that little ward that day. This young man was a true follower of Christ. He did his duties and he did them to the best of his abilities. And there was no question as to weather or not he had a missionary name tag written on his heart.

I think that this is a fantastic example of someone who "Stands as a witness of God at all times and in all things, and in all places."

Another thing with standing as a witness of God is always heeding to the promptings of the Spirit.

President Thomas S. Monson said,
"the Lord's purposes are often accomplished as we pay heed to the guidance of the spirit. I believe that the more we act upon the inspiration and impressions which come to us the more the Lord will entrust us to his errands."

I believe that as we heed to the promptings of the spirit, and we strive to live with our missionary nametags written on our hearts, we will be better prepared to serve when the time comes. I love this church and I love all the joy it brings me in my life. I hope all of my readers can find this same joy in their lives. I write this things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen



Feel my Sunlight


p.s. It's been decided. We are skipping the whole go-back-to-school-thing and we are going back to EFY instead.



2 comments:

  1. I have a testimony of the power of member missionaries. I'm a convert because my friends were willing to share the gospel with me. It has changed my life in amazing ways, and I am SO grateful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. It's hard to talk to friends about the gospel sometimes so it is great to hear of what good can come out of it. I really appreciate your comment!

      Delete

Leave me a comment! I'd love to hear from you!