Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Why Christ is the center of my life.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t31/1912000_10152228024091550_2045701113_o.jpg 

The Church posted this picture taken by John Power of the newly opened Gilbert Arizona temple that was dedicated this weekend. It is quite simply one of the most fantastic photographs I have ever seen. It just needed to be shared. Click on the picture to go to the original Facebook post.

Now, the first thing I need you to do is click play on this video. It's short, just do it.




This video is a direct representation of how I feel about the gospel and my Savior Jesus Christ. I agree in whole with everything it says and I hope that I can add my testimony in words that will help you understand why I choose to life my life differently. This video asks for me to share my story. This is my story.

I was brought up in an FM 100.3 kind of home. Where Sundays mornings meant smoothies for breakfast and nachos before church. I was brought up in a home where calling someone the "S" word was calling someone stupid. I was brought up in a home where prayers were said before meals and scriptures were read before bed. I was brought up in a home were we strived not only to be "good" but to be "great".

This idea of thinking extended far beyond my white tight years.

My idea of a good time was the time I spent with my wardies at activity days. I was that weird kid that LOVED seminary in jr. high. I couldn't get enough of it. I was (still am) that kid that proclaimed the week I attend EFY to be the greatest week of the year. I am that kid that goes to the temple before the sun comes up on Tuesday mornings and that goes to mission prep at 7 am every Sunday morning even though I don't have to. I'm that kid that would rather listen to church music thank Miley Cyrus and who gets giddy with excitement when conference rolls around.

Now, I don't say this to toot my own horn, but to tell you what I believe in. I am a generally happy person. Granted I do have some incredibly hard moments and I do have things that make me sad, but in general, I live a happy life. The source of my joy comes from these things. It comes from avoiding worldly things and living a Christ centered life.

I must add in a declaimer right here that I am far from perfect. I mess up on a daily basis an I have to repent more often than I would like to admit.

I have given you what I do because I believe, but I have yet to tell you what I believe. I believe in Christ and his ministry. I believe in his visit to the Americas and the record of this visit known as the Book of Mormon. I believe in doing good and avoiding evil. I believe in what Christ taught and I believe in living it as well. I believe Thomas S. Monson to be his representative as Prophet on the earth today. I believe he is a true Prophet and that Joseph F. Smith was called of God to reorganize Christ's church as it was organized when Christ was on the earth. I believe that Christ suffered for not only my sins, but also my pains and afflictions. He knows exactly what I am going through and he is always there to help.

I have told you what I do because I believe, what I believe, and this is why I believe. The reason for my action and my faith originated with the frilly white socks my mom put on me on Sundays, but they are not the reason I live this way now. I had a fantastic start given to me by fantastic parents, but their efforts in bringing me up in the gospel are not solely the reason for my testimony today.

I believe today because I had a desire to know for myself. I had a desire to know if the things my parents had taught me were true things. I read from my Book of Mormon and I prayed asking God to let me know what was right. I stand before you (figuratively of course, since I'm sitting right now) today to tell you that without a doubt I got an answer that this gospel was true. There were no earthquakes or explosions, there were no ministering angels. and I did not hear voices or see visions, but I did receive the quietest of answers that was significant none the less.

I share this with you because I have a desire for others to feel the same joy that I feel. Christ and the life he lived has brought so much goodness to my life that I want to share it with those around me. So I ask you: if you have never heard of the Church of Jesus Christ of Later Day Saints until now, inquire to know more; If you know about it but aren't sure you believe in it, pray to know what is right and true; If you believe that it is true but are not living the way you should, make a change; If you are doing what you should, look at what you could do to be better.

Life isn't about being perfect my friends, it is about becoming like Him who was perfect. We do not start in perfection, but we can grow to it. we have been given this opportunity to be changed thanks to Christ and his Atonement.




Tell my your story.
#ComeUntoChrist


feel my sunlight



p.s. Took the ACT today. That was exciting...

5 comments:

  1. Oh wow. Beautiful testimony. Thank you so much for not being afraid to live what you believe! Love you girl! How what and why of our testimonies is a great way to share it ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks love! Thanks for taking the time to read it. :)
      -Whit

      Delete
  2. Thought number one: I'm sorry about the ACT. It sucks, doesn't it? :P
    Thought number two: THAT PICTURE IS GORGEOUS
    Thought number three: Can I copycat this post? It's super amazing and I love your idea and I would like to steal it.

    <3 Marie-Rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reply number one: Yes, yes it does.
      Reply number two: I KNOW RIGHT!? It is my computer screen saver right now. I LOVE IT!!
      Reply number three: Have at it! I would love to hear it!

      -Whit :)

      Delete
  3. This is such an inspiring post! You are AMAZING and have such a gift for writing! I really can feel you sunlight through each and every post! Keep on sharing your awesomness!
    Have a happy day!
    -Shelby

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment! I'd love to hear from you!